Lemony Pasta With Chicken and Spinach
4 servings (serving size: 2 cups)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 skinless, boneless chicken-breast halves
- 3 thinly sliced medium red onions
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1 1/2 tablespoons grated lemon rind
- 2 teaspoons minced peeled fresh ginger (or 1 t ground ginger)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 9 ounces uncooked pasta
- 1 (6-ounce) package baby spinach
- Pine nuts, toasted (optional)
1. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken; cook until slightly browned on each side. Transfer with tongs to a cutting board. Cool; shred with hands into big chunks.
2. Combine onions, raisins, rind, ginger, and salt in a large skillet over medium heat; cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in vinegar and pepper.
3. Cook pasta according to package directions. Stir in spinach, chicken, and pasta to onion mixture. Garnish with pine nuts, if desired.
I added green beans to the onion mixture and I'm sure it would be good with asparagus too. Also, I used orzo for my pasta and it made it kind of different. I didn't have pine nuts so I added some dry roasted almonds instead.